It was a busy day for all of us at L.A. Parent as we stepped out to Plaza El Segundo Oct. 11 to meet more than 200 families looking for fun things to do in L.A. who entered our annual Shooting Stars Cover Kids Contest. But we were all smiling as the photographers snapped away and families enjoyed all the fun activities available at the event.
After the event, the real work began as our photographers, graphic designers and editorial staff looked over all those adorable little faces to choose our three winners. Those winners are:
Each of these cuties will have a cover photo shoot with an L.A. Parent photographer – Valerie Tabor Smith, Jodye Alcon or Rena Durham – and will appear on an upcoming cover of the magazine. Xander and Catherine will also receive Razor scooters, while little Reille will receive a VTech Sit-to-Stand Smart Cruiser.
We would like to thank all the wonderful families who turned out, waited patiently in the photo lines and took time to eat treats from Pinkberry, The Counter and Whole Foods, and play at our family expo. And we can’t resist taking one more opportunity to thank our event sponsor, The Wallis Annenberg Center For the Performing Arts, and Plaza El Segundo for hosting us for the day.
Thanks to Disney Home Entertainment, Lionheart Fitness, The Oksana School of Music, Books and Cookies, Wondertree Kids and The Zimmer Children’s Museum for providing great family activities.
Thanks also to the companies that helped fill the Shooting Stars gift bags we handed out:
- Blue Orange Games, for including sample packs of their award-winning game, Spot It!.
- DenTek Oral Care Products, for donating Fun Flossers for kids and Floss Picks with Case for adults.
- com, for sending their registry catalog with $130+ worth of coupons and including Pampers Natural Clean Baby Wipes.
- Disney, for the fun Sleeping Beauty door hangers and activity sheets.
- Dorothy’s Derby Chronicles, for providing temporary tattoos and bookmarks for kids.
- Family and Party Games, for their contribution of “A Tiny Book of Creative Games and Humorous Activities” featuring classic games and content for all ages.
- GoGo Squeez, for sharing pouches of their all-natural Applesauce on the Go.
- NurturMe, for including Yum-a-Roo’s toddler snacks for little ones to munch on.
- Three Lollies for donating Queasy Pops
- UV Skinz for their contribution of sun-safety educational brochures and UV Detector Key Chains to measure UV intensity.
- Whole Foods Market Plaza El Segundo for treating Shooting Stars families to delicious and healthy snacks.
A special thank you to the National Parenting Publications Awards (NAPPA) for giving away award-winning toys throughout the event. Watch LAParent.com and upcoming issues of the magazine for details on next year’s Shooting Stars Cover Kids Contest. We hope to see you there!