As a “Top Chef” winner, co-chef and co-owner of Playa Provisions and mom, L.A. born and raised chef Brooke Williamson has a few go-to kid-friendly recipes that you’ll want to eat, too. “Treating yourself to a ‘great’ meal at home doesn’t have to be overly complicated or take hours,” says Williamson. “It can also be really comforting and a way to practice being present and mindful.” She shared with us one of her favorite breakfast recipes that is kid and adult approved.
Egg in a Hole with Crispy Prosciutto and Broccoli Pesto
For Egg in a Hole:
4 thick slices (at least 1 inch thick) of country white bread
3 tablespoons butter
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
4 large slices prosciutto
- Heat a griddle or large non-stick pan over low heat.
- Using a ring mold cutter or a knife, cut out a circle from the center of the bread about 3 inches in diameter.
- Melt the butter and place the bread (including the centers) into the butter, flipping to coat both sides evenly in the melted butter.
- Crack the eggs into the middle of the bread, and season with salt and pepper. Allow for the egg to set on the bottom before flipping. This should take about 3 minutes over low heat. When the egg is slightly set and the bottom of the bread is golden brown, flip the bread using a spatula. Flip gently to ensure you don’t break the egg.
- Season the other side with salt and allow to cook for another 2 minutes depending on how well done you like your eggs.
- Toast prosciutto in the oven until crispy and broken up into rough pieces.
For Broccoli Pesto:
1 cup broccoli florets, steamed but still crunchy
1 large handful fresh basil
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
pinch of salt
1/2 cup olive oil, plus more if needed
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse all dry ingredients until they are finely chopped. In between pulses, slowly pour the olive oil in until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add more if it needs it to achieve a pesto-like consistency.
- To assemble, place the egg in a hole (and the center circle) onto a plate. Garnish with a large spoonful of broccoli pesto and crispy prosciutto.