It’s officially soup weather, and there’s nothing like a hot bowl of chicken noodle soup. The classic comfort food is a kid favorite, but adults love it, too. Catherine McCord, mom of three, cookbook author and founder of Weelicious and One Potato knows a thing or two about cooking both kid and adult approved dishes. Her version of chicken noodle soup has all the healing ingredients like garlic, carrots and, of course, chicken broth but without the hassle of tending to a pot for hours. This slow cooker version allows you to throw in all of the ingredients, and return a few hours later for a soothing, nutritious meal.
Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 4 hrs
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 leeks, chopped into half moons
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups pasta (rotini or macaroni are Catherine’s faves)
- accompaniments: fresh parsley, crackers
- Place the first 9 ingredients in a slower cooker and set to low for 4 hours (the soup can remain in the slow cooker up to 8 hours on low at this point).
- After the soup has cooked for 3 hours remove the chicken from the slow cooker and set aside.
- Add the pasta into the slow cooker and cook for an additional 30-40 minutes or until cooked through.
- While the pasta is cooking shred the chicken into bite size pieces and add back into the soup.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with crackers if desired.