On June 8,PBS SoCal celebrated young students’ writing achievements with an event at the Los Angeles Public Library in Downtown L.A. Guests were welcomed with opening remarks from PBS SoCal’s Director of Early Learning Susie Grimm as well as Senior Librarian for the Children’s Literature Department of the Los Angeles Public Library Brooke Sheets.
Hosted by KPCC’s education reporter Kyle Stokes, the celebratory and free event included an awards presentation and live storytelling from the contest winners themselves. The 16 winners received their awards onstage while proud families looked on and took selfies with Clifford the Big Red Dog. Three of the winners will have their stories animated using their illustrations and they will air on PBS SoCal later this year. A few of the top awards went to the following children in local communities:
Four 1st Place winners:
- Kindergarten: Ezra K. (Fort Irwin, CA)
- First Grade: Melvin G. (Los Angeles, CA)
- Second Grade: Moses H. (Carson, CA)
- Third Grade: Hannah Y. (Porter Ranch, CA)
Four Genre winners:
- Humor: Sathvik V. (San Ramon, CA)
- Kindness: Allyson O. (Glendale, CA)
- Science Fiction: Katherine M. (Los Angeles, CA)
- Illustration: Brittany C. (Irvine, CA)
For a full list of the winners and to read their stories, visit: https://www.pbssocal.org/education/writers-contest/
The contest is locally funded by Compass Charter Schools.