SoCal Honda received a special request on their Help Me Honda page from a counselor at Wallis Annenberg High School in South Los Angeles, where 95 percent of the kids are economically disadvantaged. Her request? To help them see snow for the first time:
“My name is Gloria Zelaya, I am a counselor at Wallis Annenberg High School a small high school in South Central Los Angeles. Every year we host a series of Festivals that are student generated and limited in funds. This year we are hosting a winter festival on campus and would love to give them a new experience — we would love to have them play in the snow. As you can imagine most of our students have never seen snow and will likely not have that opportunity readily available to them as it is a financial expense most of our families cannot afford.”
The Helpful Guys in Blue made her dream a reality Feb. 24 by surprising all the kids with 40 tons of snow, Slides and Sleds, and a play area from 3-6 p.m. This was a Random Act of Helpfulness not to be missed! February also marks the 10th Anniversary of SoCal Honda’s Helpful campaign, exclusive to SoCal residents and organizations.
Helpful Honda and their popular Guys in Blue are out in the SoCal community every week sharing Random Acts of Helpfulness. For example:
- The Helpful Bowl – on Sunday, every Super Bowl commercial featuring an advertising cliché received a dollar donation, generating nearly $300,000 for the Boys and Girls Clubs in SoCal. Kids played along live, along with residents on HelpfulBowl.com.
- For Super Bowl 2016, SoCal Honda’s commercial spot surprised residents with a complimentary UBER ride and got 9,000 people home safely on one of the most dangerous days of the year.
- A surprise Snow Day for a South LA school – where 95% of the children are economically disadvantaged – and most have never seen snow. The request was submitted on SoCal Honda’s dedicated Help Me page, where submissions are routinely fulfilled.
- Free gas when gas prices spike or during busy holiday travel.
- Thousands of complimentary red roses given away throughout SoCal and picking up the bill for unsuspecting couples enjoying their dinner Valentine’s Day.
- Other Helpful examples can be found at http://www.socalhondadealers.com/news and Facebook highlights are posted each week.