Holiday season seems synonymous with sweet treats. It’s that time of the year full of gingerbread cookies, peppermint bark, panettone and other seasonal goodies we can enjoy with our coffee, tea or hot apple cider. But sometimes there’s nothing like a perennial classic like coffee cake. A perfect holiday host gift or anytime treat, cookbook author and founder of Weelicious and One Potato Catherine McCord has added her touch to the classic dessert, with her Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake, which features a caramelized cinnamon walnut filling.
Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 45 mins
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer or with a handheld mixer, cream together the butter and sugar for 4-5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, making sure to fully incorporate before adding the next one. Add the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Alternately add the flour mixture and the sour cream to the butter until combined.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, walnuts, cinnamon and melted butter, and stir to combine well.
- Pour half the batter into a greased bundt pan, and smooth down with a spatula as this batter is thick and fluffy.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture all over the batter in the bundt pan and pat it down lightly.
- Pour in the remaining batter and smooth down with a spatula.
- Place the bundt pan in the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.